Opened on 16th September 1912, the Lime Street Picture House was a very upmarket city centre cinema with a tiled Edwardian facade and 1,029 seats in the stalls and circle. It was re-named City Picture House from 14th August 1916.
In May 1954 Twentieth Century Fox took over the cinema as their Cinemascope venue in the city and it was equipped with a large screen, re-opening on 20th May 1954 with Tyrone Power in “King of the Khyber Rifles”.
In 1960, the Futurist was acquired by ABC and was equipped with 2 x 70mm/Todd-AO (picture right) re-opening on 10th July 1960 with “Oklahoma” which ran for 20 weeks.
(Below: Front of house)
(Below) ABC Futurist stage showing the 5 channel 70mm speakers
minus a screen.