The Odeon started life as one of the seven great Paramount Theatres, built by Paramount Pictures Inc. in the UK. With a full stage, a Compton organ, with 2,670 seats in stalls and balcony, the Paramount
It opened on 15th October 1934. It was the largest cinema in the Merseyside area and cost £240,000 to construct.
It was taken over by Odeon in 1942 taking the Odeon name
The art deco decorative features were entirely destroyed in 1968 when the cinema was twinned. Seating 989 in screen 1 with 1,400 in the Screen 2.
(Below) 1968 Screen 1 (989) seats
The Odeon eventually ended up with 10 screens.
The Odeon was closed on 30th September 2008, being replaced the following day by a purpose built 14-screen Odeon multiplex in the Liverpool ONE centre, located on Paradise Street in the city centre.
2 x Philip’s DP70 35/70mm \Projectors installed
in the 1960’s for 70mm Road Show Projection